Sunday, September 4, 2016

Amal: On Reading

Reading is something we use everyday but it means a whole lot to me. My favorite books that I was read to were Dr. Seuss picture books because for some reason I would always laugh at the characters or their names. I also love I’ll Love You Forever because to me it felt like I will be loved forever. Later, when I was in first grade I had one of my first few literacy moments in life. My earliest literacy memory was in first grade when I wrote my own book titled If You Gave A Tiger A Toothbrush and gave it to the librarian as a gift at library class. I felt really proud of myself. However I don't feel proud of myself when I struggle. My greatest struggle in reading is trying to comprehend or focus on the first few pages of a new book or if I am studying it takes me a long time to focus and I have to go back almost 3 times. But if I am reading a book that I like I comprehend it completely fine like….one of my favorite books! The best book I read in fifth grade was Cake Pop Crush. I liked it because there is a connection to baking (which is one of my passions) and there is drama that can be interesting or funny. Speaking of things that I like I want to read a novel that is a certain topic or genre. In sixth grade I hope we read a mystery or scary/horror novel because those are two of my favorite genres. It’s crazy how you think you know what’s going to happen but shockingly something totally different happens! I also love the part where you want to stop reading because you think it’s to scary but you just can't stop and you get to the scariest part! Your favorite genre(s) is part of what defines the kind of reader you are. I gave myself a six word definition. Baking. Reading. Duck Tape. Muslim. Hope. Love.